Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Doom 3: Other Voices

Here are a couple of notes and links that I thought were interesting and entertaining. First, thanks to Robert Brand, who sent me the original e-mail mentioning the similarities between Doom 3 and System Shock 2.

I also read two pieces on the web that I thought were highly entertaining. The first is LP Miller's short take, available here: http://www.gotapex.com/newspro/archive/arc7-2004.php (it's the 'hi-de-hi-de-hi-di-hi' item). Very funny.

The second piece is Tom Chick's 'Shoot Club: The Doom 3 Review' (http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/columns/86/). It's very funny as well, and also offers some thoughtful observations on the game. I don't always agree with Tom--actually I frequently don't agree with him at all--but I enjoy his writing. 90% of the people who write about games and gaming are indistinguishable from one another. Most of the articles I read about games and gaming could have been written by any of two hundred different people. Tom Chick, though, has developed a personal, unique style. I recognize one of his pieces within the first few paragraphs.

The people who all sound alike represent the first age of gaming journalism. Tom Chick and others with distinct voices represent the second age. And the second age, in case you're keeping score, is going to be a hell of a lot more interesting than the first.

Site Meter