Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Idiot on Display

I just did some research on the Mennonite story and I didn't have the details of the newspaper story correct--I think once I saw the word "killed" in the headline and glanced over the story, I was so shocked that I scrambled up the facts.

There were ten members of the family, not seven. More importantly, only one of them was killed--Isaak Friesen Dyck, who was twenty. The other nine suffered broken bones and other injuries, some of them serious, but only one is in critical condition.

Oh yeah, and here's the personally tremendously embarrassing part--I had the wrong Mennonites. I must have. That was an Austin story because it happened in a city north of Austin (Jarrell) at 5 a.m. last Thursday. We left for San Antonio about 10:30 a.m. on Thursday (hadn't seen the papers--I don't know if it was in the Austin paper that morning or not). We went to Sea World on Friday. I don't know why it didn't show up in the San Antonio paper until Saturday morning, but it didn't, and when I read the story it somehow sounded like it happened on Friday (my error, I'm sure, due to how shocked I was).

So the "dead Mennonites walking" story is inaccurate. And I'm amazed that there were two other Mennonites in San Antonio, because I've never even seen one down here in twenty years, at least not if they were in traditional dress (which I verified from a website). So Joseph and Sarah Plain and Tall are still out there, and I hope they get to go to Six Flags this weekend on their continuing tour of America's Greatest Theme Parks.

And while I feel like an idiot (no, wait--I AM an idiot), I'll happily trade that for knowing that six more people are alive. So, red-faced, that concludes my public caning.

Site Meter