Friday, December 22, 2006

'Soft-Mounted Case Fan'

"I have some important instructions for you," I said to Gloria as I walked into the kitchen. "If you ever hear me say the words 'soft-mounted case fan' again, I want you to kill me."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she said.

"Doesn't matter," I said. "No more than it matters that I know what you're talking about when you say 'Never let me cut my own bangs.' It's the phrase that's important--if you hear it, grab a knife."

I have no idea how anyone has ever successfully soft-mounted a case fan. Pulling the damn rubber mounting dealies through the case with enough force to actually install them seems to make them shear off about half the time. And if you can get through that step, actually getting the fan mounted is still about a million to one shot, at least for me.

I mention this because I was trying to install a Noctua NF-S12 case fan. They are incredibly quiet, as you can see here. I wound up using screws to mount the fan (which is no walk in the park, either), but the fan is freaky quiet and very, very impressive.

My system is unbelievably quiet at this point, which means it's almost time to build a new one that will annoy the shit out of me. And so the cycle of life continues.

Site Meter