Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Code Four

We were listening to Okkervil River on our way home from dinner Sunday night.

One of their most interesting songs is basically a mashup of a funeral dirge mixed in with "Sloop John B." Then I heard lyrics I'd never noticed before:

...and his balls removed

"Whoa. Did he say 'balls removed'?" I asked.

"I think he did," she said.

"I had no idea that Okkervil River were balls-unfriendly artists," I said.

"I don't even know what means," she said.

"What is this album called--'Balls of Our Fathers?' " I asked.

We started listening again.

Well, I hear my father fall...

"Watch out! That could rhyme with 'balls'!" I said.

And I hear my mother call

"Phew," I said. "A second balls-related crisis averted."

We stopped at Walgreen's to pick up some soda. While we were there, we heard an announcement on the in-store speaker:

Cosmetics, code four. Cosmetics, code four.


"Officer down!" I said.

"Cosmetologist down," Gloria corrected.

Site Meter