Monday, February 09, 2009

A-Fraud

Wow. A star baseball player had been forced to admit he used steroids? And before he did, he claimed for years that he would absolutely never do something like that?

Every time I hear one of these guys do this, I throw up in my mouth a little. The list is so long right now that almost every great power hitter of the 1995-2005 era is in question. It's pathetic.

Oh, and don't forget the pitchers, like Roger Clemens. He's a colossal fraud, too.

You know what? Sports are supposed to be fair. That's why we love them, because in a world where so many things aren't fair, sports are a refuge. These guys are just cheaters--it's not anything more complicated than that.

I've heard people say that athletes aren't supposed to be role models, or heroes. To that, I say horseshit. When a kid asks his mom for your jersey for Christmas, when he wants to walk around wearing your name on his back, then you damn well better be a role model.

I don't know how anyone could be a baseball fan right now. Someone could give me front row tickets to a major league game and I'd give them back. The players, the union, the owners, the commissioner--they were all complicit in what happened. What a bunch of scumbags.

That's one of the reasons that I appreciate MLB: The Show so much. It's such a fantastic video game that I can still enjoy baseball (virtually) without having to pay any attention to the real world.

Thank goodness.

Site Meter