Monday, April 27, 2009

Brutal Youth

Rasch Young sent me a link today that has put me into an endless loop of video watching.

His link is to a video of a kid's band (members range from age 9 to age 13) performing "Separate Ways" (you know, that overwrought Journey song).

For their ages, the kids are pretty kickass, and the singer (who is 9) is insane. They also have a 9-year-old on drums, and I realized as I watched him that I could actually hang with him.

Seriously, I CAN BE IN A BAND. It just has to be a children's band.

So what this video did is make me look at the associated links (like the 11-year-old guitarist playing one of the solos in "Sweet Child Of Mine"), which led to a 9-year-old boy named Daniel playing "Crazy Train", and he's so good it's disturbing.

Obviously, this can only end in one place, with the discovery of a Japanese prodigy that is so well-schooled, so disbelievingly, impossibly good, that it makes adults kneel and weep for their wasted childhood, which was entirely spent watching "Gilligan's Island" re-runs.

Well, his name is Yuto Miyazawa, and he's 8. The video starts off with him playing "Crazy Train" (WTF is it with Crazy Train?), but later in the video he plays "Crossroads." It's phenomenal.

Site Meter