Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Loathsome Device (#2)

So, I rode 540 yards on the unicycle yesterday.

How do I know that? There are two outdoor basketball courts at a high school near our house, and a fence around the outside, and it's a great place to practice. In my semi-treasured status as "worst kid in class," having a fence to grab onto when I'm about to lose my balance is perfect for me.

I'm not sure what it feels like to ride a unicycle for 500+ yards when you're actually riding the whole time. Maybe it doesn't feel that bad. But riding that far while you're grabbing the fence every ten feet is an outright bitch.

As feeble as that sounds, though, I'm getting better. I realized last weekend that, by almost any definition, I was failing to learn the skill. This was kind of a slap in the face, and my usual approach at this point is to dig in and double down. So I've been practicing every day, and it's starting to make a difference. I told Eli 7.9 that we're going to ride laps on the track together this summer, and we're going to do it, even if it kills me.

Site Meter