Monday, June 08, 2009

Possibilities

This is how I get into trouble. Asking questions.

With the MotionPlus support in Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii, 1:1 motion mapping is supported. Allegedly.

What I want to know is how well, in terms of both acceleration and motion, the game translates our real-world swing. I'm not talking about some cruddy plastic golf club with a holder for the Wiimote--I'm talking about a real golf club.

Here's what I think we should be able to do:
--find a holder for the Wiimote that can be mounted near the handle of a real golf club
--use a practice net and a mat
--use real golf balls
--play the game

A driver and six iron would work for all shots except putting. So you would only need three holders and three clubs in total to represent a near-full golf experience.

This is pointless, of course, if the results with a Wiimote are radically different from real-world performance.

Wait. I'm not going to...yes, I am.

When I get the attachment figured out, I'll go hit balls on the driving range to check my distance. It would be ideal to use an advanced indoor golf simulator (at Golfsmith or the like) and have both the simulator and the Wii running at the same time, so that swing results could be compared.

Putting? Use one of those artificial putting greens--just a strip of artificial turf so that you can get the ball rolling.

I have no idea how well the Wiimote would work when attached to a real club, or how well it would reflect real life.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I'm damn sure going to find out.

Site Meter