Thursday, December 09, 2010

An Appropriate Image: Mr. Bean Riding A Giraffe

The apocalypse has apparently arrived, because I bought a pair of ice skates today.

I'm not telling Eli 9.4. The plan is to walk around for a few days on carpet (with skate guards on) when he's not here, then take a few lessons, then skate an hour a day for the next month. Once I've learned and have a lower chance of killing myself, I'll surprise him. I'm hoping that 30 hours of on-ice time will at least be enough to not look like a complete idiot (insert your joke here).

I was very surprised at how technical and complicated the process is to buy skates for the first time. I tried on five different pairs, talked about all kinds of skate-related things with the person who was fitting me, then went through the oven baking process (the skates, not me) to help the break-in process.

All told, it took an hour and a half.

I also have a helmet on the way, so put that e-mail back in the holster. Believe me, my number one priority is to not break something (including my head).

If you have any tips for learning, though, fire away.

Site Meter