Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Remarkable Exhibit

I stumbled on something completely wonderful today: an exhibit of board games, including some of the oldest board games I've ever seen. Let's take a look.


Yes, this is amazing. It's "Pirate and Traveler", a board game published in 1911. That's right--a century ago. Here's the map, and what a beauty:


Oh, but there's much, much more.

Take a look at the map for the "National Game of The Star Spangled Banner":


1840. Absolutely spectacular. Here's the BoardGameGeek page: Star Spangled Banner.

Next up, "The Game Of Napoleon: The Little Corporal", which was published in 1895:


By the way, you can click on any of the pictures for a larger image. And here's the BoardGameGeek page: Napoleon.

Next up, it's "The Amusing Game Of the Corner Grocer", published in 1887:


Boardgame Geek page: Corner Grocer.

Since it's a miracle that I still have a connection, I'm going to stop here, but I have more pictures for tomorrow. And where did I see this wondrous exhibit? Why, right here.

Site Meter