Thursday, August 28, 2014

Supply

This may not be interesting to anyone besides me (always a risk), but it blows my mind.

When I was a kid, my favorite thing to do on the weekends was watch football. I still remember the schedule, too. There was always a Saturday afternoon college game at 2:30. If I was lucky, there was also a game at 11:00 in the morning, but that wasn't very often.

On Sunday, either NBC or CBS had a doubleheader, and the other network had a single game (they alternated doubleheaders).

In 1969, when I was eight, that was 100% of the football games available on television.

About 20 games of college football. 42 games of pro football (14 game season, no bye weeks).

62 games in total, not including bowl games and the NFL playoffs.

ESPN is showing 52 college football games this weekend (from Wednesday-Monday).

In one week, ESPN is almost showing more football than I watched all season when I was a kid.

I know that forty-five years is a long time, but not to me. I still remember the anticipation on Saturdays, looking forward to the games. That early Saturday game was a huge bonus! And I can still remember details of many of those games, even today.


Site Meter