Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Otto and Nora

For some reason, talking to Mike today reminded me of a story from the wayback machine.

My mom grew up in Fort Smith, Arkansas (she doesn't recommend it). She left, but we went back to visit in summer. Her father's sister Nora lived in Fort Smith, too, and she married a German man named Otto.

Otto, in particular, was an amazing gardener. We would visit in summer, and his garden was always full of the most delicious food you could possibly imagine. He was so meticulous about his garden, and such a craftsman, and it made an impression on me.

Aunt Nora and Uncle Otto were both very old by the time I was twelve, both in their seventies (at least), and on one visit, Aunt Nora started trying to give us stuff.

In particular, and this memory is very vivid, she wanted us to have a lazy Susan that she had on a table in her living room. Insistent, really.

Why was she demanding that we take her things? She said she wouldn't be around much longer, and wanted to give her stuff away.

If you want to absolutely creep someone out, just say that to them. I thought it was the strangest thing I'd ever heard, but somehow, as I get older, I'm starting to understand what she meant.

We didn't take the Lazy Susan, but I'm sure we left with some small item. Yikes.

Site Meter