Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Detroit (almost the end)

There's this annual ritual down here when it comes to hockey.

Every year before tryouts, there's a rumor about some kid coming from ZYZ state who played AA or AAA and he's going to try out for the team. Every once in a while, a kid actually does come down. Most of the time, though, it's just vapor.

"Those tryouts are going to be tough," Eli 14.0 said as we drove back to the hotel on Friday.

"Yes, and you should embrace that," I said.

He started laughing. "Motivational speech coming."

"You have very high goals," I said. "When it gets hard, it means you're getting somewhere. You're moving forward. That's when it gets fun."

He knows that. It doesn't hurt to say it every once in a while, though.

"Hey, I just realized something," Eli said. "Next spring, when I come up here for tryouts, I AM the rumor!"

I burst out laughing. "You're right," I said. "That's a real upside-down situation."

I'm wiped out today and still have a ton to do on GS in preparation for the new release tomorrow/Friday, so here are some pictures.

If you're doing laundry in the sink, controlling soap amounts is crucial. If you're not careful, you'll wind up with the Caldera Dome:


The mall next to where we were staying had what might be a possibly strategic juxtaposition of stores:


I find this alarming because my brain can't unpack the image at all. What's happening here? Are those thin creatures sweating, or is that salt?


Apparently, wedding school buses are a thing now, and it's about time:


We wound up going to Colon, Michigan, for a magic festival on the day after camp. Western Michigan is beautiful, but it's very, very different from the less rural parts of the state.

This was outside a VFW hall. Eli's best friend is beside him:


More pictures tomorrow, including two that I believe are quite rare.

Site Meter