Thursday, May 11, 2017

Rakuen (2 hour impressions)

Well, this is a delightful little game.

I had a post-it pad next to me while I played the game, and here are the words I wrote down:
whimsical
intelligent
warm
gentle
wonderful dialogue
music

If you only had seven words to describe Rakuen, those are a solid seven.

People have substance in this game. The dialogue makes it feel like real people are talking to each other, and when characters aren't people, they still have distinct personalities. They have troubles, they have frustrations, and they're just trying to get through.

I've burst out laughing several times. It's a gentle game, but that doesn't mean it can't be funny, because it is, and quite often.

The world is full of thorough and rich detail. There are so many small details in the opening setting (a hospital) that meticulously create a sense of something that is real.

Another layer to this game is the sound, because it's spectacular, both the music and the sound effects. the music, in particular, is exceptional.

It's a relief, really, with how crazy the world is right now, to play a quiet, warm game like this.

I don't want to say more, because I don't want to spoil anything, but Rakuen is very much worth your time. Here's a Steam link: Rakuen.

Site Meter